TWIST Athlete & Rehabilitation Success Story
Regardless of your physical limitation or injury, or whether you are new to exercise or a professional athlete, the TWIST approach is the same: hands-on, professional, and supported by a team of exercise physiologists, kinesiologists and performance experts with decades of experience in creating strong bodies that can function with ease. Whether you are a current TWIST member or massage therapy has brought you through our doors for the first time, our experienced team of registered massage therapists is here to help you get a body that works.
Treatment includes assessment as well as recommended schedule of treatments. For rates and availability, contact the TWIST center nearest you.
TWIST physiotherapy is anchored in movement sciences and incorporates a broad range of physical and physiological therapeutic interventions and aids to enhance or restore function.
Whether you are injured, an elite athlete or anywhere in between, our performance-focused physiotherapy team, in conjunction with our industry-leading team of experts and educators, is available to assist you with:
- Promoting optimal mobility, physical activity and overall health and wellness;
- Sports physiotherapy to get you back to competition;
We are also here to assist you with:
- Managing acute and chronic conditioning, activity limitations, and participation restrictions;
- Improving and maintaining optimal functional independence and physical performance;
- Preventing disease, injury and disability;
- Rehabilitating injury and the effects of disease or disability with therapeutic exercise programs and other interventions; and
- Educating and planning maintenance and support programs to prevent re-occurrence, re-injury or functional decline
Services vary by location. For rates and availability, contact your local TWIST center.
ACTIVE REHAB/POST PHYSICAL THERAPY
After an athlete is injured and begins the rehabilitation process, there will inherently be a time when the athlete is able to return to training, but not to the fullest extent. This is when the seamless integration between the TWIST Rehabilitation System and the TWIST High Performance Training System comes into effect. The collaborative environment between physical therapists and the performance coach allows for the athlete to return to training in the safest way possible.
Our Performance Team and Rehabilitation Team work together with an integrated approach that typically allows the athlete to continue doing modified training during the rehabilitation phase and to ensure they stay in top condition while rehabbing the injury. As the athlete progresses through the rehabilitation process the physio and strength coach work together to provide a combined active rehab and strength and conditioning program to allow the athlete makes a speedy and full recovery.
Once the athlete has full rehabilitated the injury, the athlete will begin there conditioning/return to competition phase to prevent the risk of re-injury and to ensure they are ready and fit to get back into full competition. The integrated team will also place a heavy emphasis on mindset training to ensure that the athlete is confident, ready, and able both physically and mentally to return to action at the top level.
- Athletes always have a coach while training in the centre ensuring proper and safe movements as they return to training.
- Building smart muscle and smart bodies that give the athlete full confidence to compete at an elite level after injury.
- Part of the TWIST family even when the athlete leaves our centre to return to play.
- Coaching/Physical Therapy Resources are always at their fingertips.
- Take home programs available.
- Individualized programming, so that each athlete trains exactly how they need to train
NOTABLE TWIST REHABILITATION SUCCESS STORIES
Athlete: Morgan Rielly
Sport: Ice Hockey
Team: Toronto Maple Leafs (NHL)
Injury: November 6, 2011 Torn ACL
Surgery: November 22, 2011 (ACL Re-construct)
Rehabilitation Started: December 15, 2011
Back on the Ice: Feb 15, 2012
Back in Full Competition: Playoffs Game April 16, 2012
Drafted to the NHL: 5th overall to the Maple Leafs (June 2012)
TWIST Athlete: Training with TWIST since age 13
Rielly credits his miraculous knee surgery recovery to his years of training at TWIST and the rehab, re-conditioning & training systems used at TWIST to get him back to competition so quickly.
NOTABLE TWIST (ALLAN MCGAVIN) PHYSICAL THERAPY CLIENTS
– Vancouver Canucks, 1980-1985 (Clyde Smith)
– Winter Olympic Games, 2010 (Zenya Kasabuchi, Scott Fraser, Andrea Reid)
– Winter Paralympics Venue Medical Officer, 2010 (Zenya Kasabuchi)
– Canadian Men’s National Field Hockey Team, 1997-2008 (Scott Fraser), 2009-2011 (Andrea Reid), Current (Ryan Leaver)
– Skate Canada Junior Nationals, 2003, 2005 (Andrea Reid)
– Short Track Speed Skating Western Canadian Championship, 2013. (Ryan Hill)
PRO ATHLETE & OLYMPIC REHABILITATION
Our primary aim at TWIST Performance is to build a fully-functioning athlete through science-based strength and conditioning programming that leads to increased athletic performance and decreased incidence of injury. The TWIST Performance methodology revolves around neural based training that overloads the athlete’s muscle communication system allowing them to perform sport-specific movements in a safe and effective manner.
At TWIST Performance our rehabilitation system is designed to give our athletes the edge they need to return to the highest level of sport in the fastest manner. Along with the kinesiologists, and strength and conditioning experts at TWIST , our elite rehabilitation team implements the most cutting-edge technology and sports science to diagnose, rehabilitate, and recondition injured athletes. The integration between Twist’s Performance and Rehabilitation teams mean unparalleled success in return to sport protocols, ensuring all injured athletes get back to competition as quickly and as smoothly as possible.
With some of the top physiotherapists and sport rehabilitation specialists in our locations, TWIST Performance’s partnership with Allan McGavin Sports Medicine & Physiotherapy in North Vancouver, BC, brings the industry’s best in rehabilitation and physiotherapy for our athletes. The Allan McGavin group has extensive experience working with elite (Provincial/National/Olympic/Professional) athletes for over 35 years.
ALLAN MCGAVIN SPORTS MEDICINE AND PHYSIOTHERAPY
Founded in 1981 at the University of British Columbia, the AMSMC was the pioneer in the multi-disciplinary treatment of sports injuries. Today, we remain a leading resource in sports medicine through our commitment to professional development and our support of research through the B.C. Sports Medicine Research Foundation. Our therapists are involved with students at UBC as clinical educators and mentors through our association with UBC’s Faculty of Medicine and Schools of Physical Therapy and Kinesiology. We are involved with the education of residents, fellows and practicing physicians and physiotherapists. Our physiotherapists have significant experience working with athletes at the highest levels of competition from provincial and national, to Olympic and professional.
We have a comprehensive approach to patient care. Educating patients about their condition and creating independence are the foundation of our programs and treatment plans. We go beyond alleviating symptoms and focus on understanding and identifying the root cause of the problem. With manual therapy and individualized exercises, we strive to restore function so that our patients are adequately prepared to return to sport while minimizing the risk of re-injury.
• Physiotherapy for acute and chronic conditions
• Sports physiotherapy for Pro & Olympic level athletes
• Sports physiotherapy for youth athletes
• Pre/Post Surgical Care
• Intramuscular Stimulation (IMS)
• Massage Therapy
• Functional Movement Screen